This guide, as the topic says, “How to make burnt ends in the oven” will be about how you can cook your burnt ends in the oven.
And, your first question might be, “Can you even cook burnt ends in the oven?” Well, the straight and short answer to this is yes, you can cook your burnt ends in the oven.
Simply put, what you need to do is set your oven at 275 degrees Fahrenheit and then proceed to cook your burnt ends for 3 hours.
Increase the temperature of your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Afterward, you can add your desired sauce, but this should be done during the last 30 minutes of the cooking.
Chuck Roast Poor Man’s Burnt Ends in The Oven
I will be discussing Poor Man’s Burnt Ends in the guide and how you can make it using an oven. Just add an easy dry rub that is filled with flavor to your poor man’s burnt ends and every bite you take will feel soft, juicy, and crunchy in your mouth.
It melts and is filled with a mouth-watering taste. You can get all the flavor of the popular barbecued meat platter without needing a smoker by using an oven, which means you won’t need a smoker.
Burnt Ends have been made popular in Kansas City and have also been a body of Texas barbecue. That is to say, burnt ends have gained fame and popularity across the US.
Poor Man’s Burnt Ends
So, before I go about teaching you how to make poor man’s burnt ends using an oven, it would be nice to first talk about what poor man’s burnt ends are.
Well, generally, burnt ends are crunchy, delicious pieces of meat from the pointed end of a brisket. The cooking time of this piece of meat determines how crunchy and seared it gets.
It also possesses a great amount of fat. You can cook your poor man’s burnt ends with BBQ sauce and a spice rub alongside butter, which will make them get crunchy and delightful.
Poor Man’s Burnt Ends Recipe
You will surely love these burnt ends in the oven. Poor Man’s Burnt Ends are dry-rubber, soft, and juicy beef chuck. And, to get a crunchy surface, you will need to low and slow-cook your burnt ends.
Preparation Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours and 40 minutes
Servings: 5 people
- Rimmed sheet pan
- Wire rack
- Kitchen knives
Ingredients for BBQ Spice Rub:
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder.
- ½ teaspoon of dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon of coarse black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Burnt Ends Ingredients:
- 3 pounds of chuck roast.
- 2 tablespoons of spice rub
- 1-2 cups barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Rays can be used).
- 8 tablespoons, 1 stick salted butter (cut into 1 tablespoon pats).
- Firstly, you will need to get a small bowl and mix all the ingredients for the spice rub inside it. You are to mix them till they are well blended.
- Then, you are to measure 2 tablespoons of the well-blends mixture for the spice rub. Afterward, you are to keep the remaining mixture in a sealed container.
- You can now get your oven and heat it to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. Get the whole chuck roast and spray about 1–2 tablespoons of spice rub all over it. And this should be done lavishly.
- And, to coat all the sides of the chuck roast, you can rub the spice rub in using your hands. Afterward, get a roasting rack and place the seasoned roast on it.
- This roasting rack should then be placed on a sheet pan. You can now proceed to bake, and the baking should go on for about 3 hours.
- After that, you can remove the roast from the oven and cut it into 1″ cubes. Then, get the baking sheet and spread the chunks of meat on it.
- You can now proceed to roll with BBQ sauce. Get the meat and place the pats of butter over it. Afterward, get the sheet pan back into the oven.
- Then, you are to bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and this should be for an additional 30 minutes, more or less.
- Bake it till the edges of the meat become extremely seared and crunchy. At the 15-minute mark, you are to stir the meat halfway, and this should go on through cooking.
- After that, you can now proceed to serve your poor man’s burnt ends. You can also serve it alongside some extra BBQ sauce, but this is based on what you want.
Storage and Reheating Chuck Roasted Burnt Ends in Oven
If you have some leftovers from your poor man’s burnt ends, then you can store them in the refrigerator and be sure that they will last for up to three days.
However, before you put them in the refrigerator, you have to first seal them in an airtight container.
And, for the reheating part, you can reheat your burnt ends in a microwave, but this should be at 30-second intervals because there is so much sugar that when it gets too hot in the microwave, they spill.
You are to ensure that you cover your burnt ends so that they will be easy to clean up.
The fun fact about these burnt ends is that they can be served on their own and they are extremely delicious.
They can do well as a full meal, a snack, and also as a special treat for game day and tailgating. So, below will be some serving suggestions.
Block Party, Cookout, or BBQ
- Smoked Hamburgers
- Grilled Ribeye Cap Steak
- Slow Cooker Guinness Baked Beans.
- Grilled Kobe Beef Cheeseburger Kebabs
Game Day and Tailgating
- Smoked Chili
- Smoked Brisket and Beer Queso
- Smoked Chicken Wings
- Smoked Hot Dogs
Conclusion on How to Make Burnt Ends In The Oven
There are some sides that you can serve with your burnt ends. But, this will be based on your taste and preference.
You can go for baked beans and serve your burnt ends with baked mac and cheese, cornbread, biscuits, or fried corn fritters.
And, before I wrap up this guide, you should know that using foil for this burnt ends recipe is not necessary as it might even prevent the burnt ends from getting crunchy in the right way.
You can also freeze the leftovers of your burnt ends and this will make them last for about 3 months. You can proceed to defrost them overnight in the refrigerator when you are ready to reheat them.
So, this will be the conclusion on “How to make burnt ends in the oven” as all you will need to chuck roast the perfect burnt ends have been detailed in this guide.
Yummy recipe… Quite easy to prepare.
Wow…. This is super easy to make.