You have come to the right place if you are searching for the best, easiest way to make corned beef in the oven.
So, in this guide, you will be given the “Corned beef in the oven recipe.” You will get to learn how to cook corned beef in the oven.
Oven-Baked Corned Beef has a mouth-watering crunchy crust that is accompanied by a rich, soft, and juicy center.
When you follow the laid-out instructions of this corned beef in the oven recipe, you will learn to love how easy it is to oven-bake a delectable corned beef brisket.
What Is Corned Beef?
However, before we dig deeper, it would be right to briefly talk about what corned beef is since you will be learning how to cook it in the oven.
Corned beef is just a slice of beef brisket that has been cured in rock salt. This is the definition of corned beef at its most basic.
Simply put, the corned beef you get on the market today is just a beef brisket that has been brine-cured in spices.
And, also in curing salt, this is what gives the corned beef brisket a deep pink hue. So, you shouldn’t be worried when you find a deep pink hue in your corned beef.
Baked Corned Beef
This is the corned beef in the oven recipe you came here to find. Traditionally, this first-rate Irish-American platter is boiled with cabbage.
However, there’s a better way. This is if you intend to get the most flavorful, soft, and juicy corned beef.
You will get mustard and brown sugar and use them to coat this baked corned beef and then simmer it in Guinness.
You can decide to serve it along with mashed potatoes and sautéed cabbage. This will make it a complete St. Patrick’s Day meal.
Preparation Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours and 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Category: Main Dish
- 1 4-pound of corned beef brisket (you will find a seasoning packet with it)
- 1 cup of Guinness or other stout
- 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar.
- 2 tablespoons of whole-grain mustard.
- First, you are to warm up the oven to 352 degrees Fahrenheit, then proceed to immerse the corned beef in cold water.
- Make sure this goes on for 15 minutes. Afterward, you can then drain it and dab it dry. Get a baking dish, and then place the corned beef in it.
- Also, get a small bowl and place the brown sugar, mustard, and seasoning packet in it. This seasoning packet is what came along with the corned beef.
- You can now proceed to stir them together. When this is done, you are to rub it onto the top of the corned beef.
- After that is done, you are to then cover the pan and allow it to bake. The baking should go on for 4 hours.
- When that is done, you can now proceed to remove the cover and allow it to cook for the final 30 minutes of cooking.
- After that, you are to get it out of the oven and let the corned beef cool off for around 10 minutes before you proceed to slice it and serve it.
I will strongly suggest that you add an extra hour per pound to the cooking time. This is if your corned beef is larger than 4 pounds.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Corned Beef In The Oven?
It is quite easy to remember the time that it will take to bake corned beef in the oven until it becomes soft and juicy, yet still sliceable.
You are to bake it for an hour for each pound, and if your corned beef happens not to be an “ideal”, even weight, I will suggest you round up to the quarter pound for times.
This is to say that a 2.65 lb. corned beef should cook for the same time frame as a 2.75 Ib. corned beef, which is 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Below will be some common times to help spare you any math:
- 1 lb. of corned beef should be baked for an hour.
- 2 lbs. of corned beef should be baked for 2 hours.
- 2.25 Ib. of corned beef should be baked for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- 2.5 Ib. of corned beef should be baked for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- 2.75 lbs. of corned beef should be baked for 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- 3 lbs. of corned beef should be baked for 3 hours.
- 3.5 lbs. of corned beef should be baked for 3 hours and 30 minutes.
This should help you with your other calculations.
You are to keep in mind that immediately you bring the corned beef out of the oven, you are to allow it to cool off before you proceed to slice it. If not done this way, it will just end up dry.
Tips for making Corned Beef in the Oven
After you remove the brisket from the oven, you have to make sure that you allow it to cool off, as this will allow the juices to be redistributed and won’t just run out of the corned beef.
You are to cook your corned beef to an internal temperature of 185 degrees Fahrenheit to 210 degrees Fahrenheit. This is if you prefer shredded corned beef rather than sliced corned beef.
Make sure you never bake your corned beef below 325 degrees Fahrenheit, which is for the safety of the food, although you can raise the temperature as this will help make your corned beef bake a little bit faster.
As mentioned a few times in this guide, you are to allow the corned beef to cool off before you proceed to slice it.
Doing it this way will help hold the juices, so you will allow it to sit for around 15 to 20 minutes.
Across the grain, you are to make 1/8 to ¼ inch slices. But, you should know that it will shred if you slice the meat with the grain.
Conclusion on Corned Beef in the Oven Recipe
Before I wrap up this guide, let me also give you some storage tips. Corned beef is to be refrigerated within 2 hours of cooking. This is according to the USDA.
Refrigerating it will allow it to last for up to 3 to 4 days. Corned beef can also be frozen, and this will allow it to be able to last for up to 2 to 3 months.
So, with all that being said, this will be the wrap-up of this guide on “Corned Beef in the Oven Recipe.”